Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Schmear - It's What's for Brunch

I'm bowing out of the kitchen on this one. I can make a lot of things - but bagels are not one of them.  At least not yet... 

If you're looking for NYC's best bagels, look no further than Pick A Bagel on 23rd and 3rd. Boo and I have been coming to this location since we met, and he even before that. For years. And years. We don't live anywhere near this bagel shop, but it's our go-to because it's just that good. 

They have everything from sweets (muffins, cookies, rugelach, muffins, pastries) to savory items (bagels, rolls, sandwiches, salads, eggs, deli items). They also have juices and smoothies and a really impressive make your own salad bar. This is a one-stop-shop for goodness. Literally. Oh, and the coffee?  It's really good. Hazelnut with skim is where it's at.  And you know, I love my coffee.

They also have the best cream cheese. Ever. It's just so good. I wish I knew the recipe. 

But lets be honest: you come for all that other stuff, but you stay for the bagels! They are so big, and they are just perfect.  Crusty on the outside, and soft and chewy on the inside.  Love.

My favorite order is a whole wheat everything bagel (not toasted -- the bagels are so fresh you literally do not need to toast them and they are better that way, thats how you really know they're fresh) with walnut raisin cream cheese*.  I have a thing for salty/sweet things. Boo's favorite is whole wheat everything with plain cream cheese and nova with sliced red onion. The first time my sister tried these she ordered everything with plain cream cheese and loved it. If you love plain cream cheese, you know it's good. 

*In case anyone wants to surprise me with breakfast, you should know that my 2nd favorite is an everything flagel (i.e., flat bagel) with veggie cream cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion.  It is like a salad on a bagel. Or in this case, flagel.  Also, I can't stop saying flagel.

Salad bar:

Juicing station:

Cream cheese:


And more cream cheese:


The best (!!) cream cheese - walnut raisin:



Homemade black and white cookies:


Or just black or white if that's what you fancy:


Smoked fish:


Very simple egg salad:

Pickles:

The coffee:

Copious amounts of bagel options:


14 in a dozen?  Yes:


There she is:

My favorite combination:




I wish I could tell you I was getting paid to write this, but I am not. Just an informed NYC bagel eater sharing her go-to stop for all things schmear. 


Where is your favorite bagel shop? Do you top with butter or cream cheese?

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment