Monday, March 4, 2013

Scallops + Potatoes + Brussels Sprouts

I pride myself on making simple, tasty and healthy weeknight dinners that I can get ready with little effort after a long day at work (Do you hear that sound? That is me patting myself on the back).  But every now and then, a girl wants to treat herself.  I had a little bit of time Sunday night, so I treated Boo and myself to a dinner of seared scallops with a lemon-butter-wine-caper sauce, roasted Brussels sprouts and potatoes, and a simple mixed green salad with pear tomatoes and yellow peppers (because we know Boo loves peppers ).

The scallops are actually super-easy to make.  The key is getting some quality ingredients, and making sure that everything is ready to go.

Ingredients (makes 2 servings)*:
3/4 pound of scallops
1/2 shallot
2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped
1/4C white wine (I used Sauvignon Blanc, but anything you like to drink is fine. The hardest part of the recipe is actually making sure you have a little wine left after Saturday night)
1tbsp olive oil (portioned 1 tsp and 2 tsps)
1/8C capers
1 lemon, juiced
1/2tbsp butter
salt and pepper, to taste

*Maybe it was just the fact that I was resting on the weekend, but I was a complete maverick in the kitchen.  I did everything by feel, so my measurements may not be exact.  But that is what makes cooking fun.  Not as fun as getting presents, but fun...

Directions:
1. Take scallops out of the fridge, let them come to temperature, and dry them really well with a paper towel (by making sure that the scallops are dry and not too cold, they will sear nicely)
2. Butterfly scallops by cutting them in half, parallel to the top.  I bought fresh, U-10 scallops from Whole Foods (U-10 means less than 10 scallops per pound). These guys were so big, that my 3/4 pound had only 6 scallops.  In order to let them cook more evenly, cut them in half through the middle, so that they are just as wide, but 1/2 as tall.  Does that make sense? I hope so!
3. Salt and pepper scallops on each side
4.  Heat 2 tsp of oil on medium high heat, and sear the scallops
5.  Cook them about 3-4 minutes on the first side, then flip and cook another 2-3 minutes  Then take the scallops out of the pan, put them on a plate, and tent them with aluminum foil
6.  Add 1 tsp of olive oil to pan, and brown shallot and garlic
7.  Add wine, lemon juice, butter and capers, stir, cover and let the sauce reduce
8.  Add the scallops back to the sauce, making sure to add the juice that seeps out from the scallops onto the plate (it sounds a little gross, but I promise it is super tasty, and you don't want to lose that flavor)

I apologize for not taking more pictures, but Boo may or may not have been distracting me.    But most importantly, I can offer you before:





And after:


The potatoes were literally the easiest thing ever.  But really good.

Ingredients:
1/2 pound mixed, baby potatoes
1tbsp olive oil
2tbsp garlic powder
2tbsp dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Wash potatoes, and pierce them with a fork to help them cook faster
3. Coat with olive oil, garlic powder, oregano, salt and pepper
4. Cook 45-55 minutes in the oven

When these guys come out of the oven, the skin has started to shrink and get crispy, but the insides are soft, creamy and delicious.  So simple, so tasty.

Again, shout out to Boo for distracting me and so that I have few pictures.  But, I offer you before:


And after:


Sometimes you just need to spend a little time to treat yourself for Sunday night dinner.  What is your favorite Sunday night dinner?

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment