Tuesday, March 26, 2013

How-To: Quinoa

Quinoa is one of those really easy dishes that may not even qualify as cooking.  But, I'm into labels.  So today, friends, we are cooking!

Quinoa is an interesting creature, loaded with protein and fiber and it's gluten free!  How timely for Passover... 

When making quinoa, I use a 4:1 ratio of water:quinoa -- 4C water:1C quinoa or 2C water: 1/2C quinoa for example.


However, sometimes I do an extra 1/4 or 1/2C of water (4 1/2C of water for 1C quinoa)...because I get busy when I'm cooking.  Sometimes I need to run to my studio and spray paint a random bauble (it's hygenic...I promise I scrub my hands after).   And this way, if you happen to forget that the water is boiling, and let it sit on the burner for a bit longer than you intended, you will still have plenty of water for the cooking if you added a little extra beforehand. 

And who says you can't DIY and cook and plan a wedding all at the same time?  Multitasking at its finest...

Anyway, back to the recipe!


Ingredients for 4 servings:
4 1/2C water
1C quinoa

Directions:
1. Bring a small pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat
2. Once you have a rolling boil, add quinoa and a drop of olive oil (this helps with the fluff-age -- we are really technical here on The Domesticated Wolf)
3. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook about 15 minutes, or until the water has cooked off, checking after 15 to be sure the quinoa is cooked to your liking, then fluff before serving

You can overcook quinoa (the taste doesn't change, just the texture) so just watch it to make sure you aren't going to eat mush.  Unless you want to eat much...then by all means overcook it!


Raw quinoa sort of resembles couscous:



My attempt to show you "rolling boil":


Once the quinoa is in the pot, give it a good stir -- I like to use a slotted spoon...really there's no reason for this, just a habit:


Almost ready for plating:


 Fluff quinoa (as noted above) in a big white bowl:




Nutrition information per 1/2C serving:
159 calories, 28g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 5g protein, 3g fiber

I like to serve my quinoa with a vinaigrette of olive oil, garlic, red wine vinegar, lemon and salt + pepper.  But, it works perfectly as a base for many different dishes, even sweet ones.  Plus, when I make it, I make a lot of it.  Leftovers, anyone?

Have you ever tried quinoa?  How do you serve yours?  Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

2 comments:

  1. Yum-love quinoa. I don't cook, but often order a stuffed avocado: avocado stuffed with chicken salad, atop greens and some DELISH quinoa :)

    ReplyDelete