Friday, February 8, 2013

White Bean and Kale Meatballs + a Walnut Winner!

Congratulations to Elizabeth!  She is our Walnut winner.  For those who are curious, the winner was determined through random.org.  Elizabeth, please check your email and congratulations! 

Now...on to the food (do you feel like I'm always writing that?  Same.)!  

I had a serious kitchen appliance malfunction this morning.  My beloved Cuisinart food processor spun its last spin.  These machines are durable!  My mum is still using the one that she received as a wedding gift!  So, what happened to mine?  

What to do?  Head to Bed Bath and Beyond, of course!  What?  There's a blizzard coming?  Yes, I'm the crazy lady with huge fur earmuffs racing toward BBB with a coupon in hand!  Actually, I always take two coupons with me...because what if there's something else I need?  Exactly.  




I saw a beautiful photo of white bean meatballs on Janel's instagram page.  She mentioned it was a Cookin' Canuck recipe.  Here's my version (adapted from this Cookin' Canuck, recipe).

Ingredients for 5 servings:
1 15oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1 roasted pepper (I used a jarred roasted red pepper and estimated about 1), roughly chopped
1 1/2C kale, chopped
1/2 medium red onion, very roughly chopped
1 tsp garlic, chopped (jarred garlic works here too)
2 tsp dried oregano 
1 egg, whole
1/2C GG bran crispbread sprinkles or breadcrumbs (if you don't have the sprinkles but you do have the crackers, crush three crackers and that's about 1/2C, ) 
2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, shredded + 5 tablespoons when serving
1 25oz jar of tomato sauce (you can make your own if you have the motivation, but I did not, so I used Cucina Antica's marinara)
3/4C cherry tomatoes, halved
cooking spray
1 large spaghetti squash (size will range from 1-3 pounds)
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:
1. Drain and rinse beans, place in food processor
2. Roughly chop 1 roasted red pepper, 1/2 medium red onion and 1 1/2C kale, place in food processor
3. Chop garlic (or measure 1 tsp jarred garlic), place in food processor
4. Use food processor to combine ingredients, if yours has a "pulse" option, use that (don't blend too much, just until combined)
5. In a medium/large bowl, empty the food processor contents and mix with 1 egg, GG bran crispbread sprinkles, oregano and salt and pepper (to your taste, about 1tsp pepper 1/2 tsp salt)
6. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, place meatball mixture in the fridge to set
7. When the oven comes to temperature, coat a large cookie sheet with cooking spray 
8. With a tablespoon/ice cream scoop/small ladle/anything you have, form 10 meatballs and place on cookie sheet
9. Cook for 15 minutes, then flip, cook another 10 minutes (or until the meatballs are browned - they will not be firm like traditional meatballs, and should be handled delicately)
10. While the meatballs are in the oven, cook the spaghetti squash:
       a. Halve and remove seeds with a spoon.
     b. Place the halved squash in a microwave safe dish.  Put 1C water in the dish, and 2   tablespoons water in each squash half.
    c. Cook on high for 15 minutes and refill halves with water if evaporated. Check for doneness and continue to cook until flesh is easily removed with a fork (about 30 minutes, but will depend on size of squash).
11. Halve cherry tomatoes and add to a large saucepan with jarred tomato sauce. Add meatballs, coat them with the sauce, and warm through about 20 minutes (do not overcook meatballs since they could fall apart)
12. Plate 3/4C spaghetti squash with two meatballs and tomato sauce, top with 1 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese, and salt + pepper if you wish


Ingredients ready for use:



The most effective way I have found to wash beans:



Beans into the food processor:



My estimation of one whole pepper:



Roughly chopped:



Roughly chopped kale:



Sliced onion:

Beans, pepper, garlic and onions:


I pulsed the bean mixture a bit before the kale, but I don't recommend this (just add everything then pulse):


For those who are not familiar, here's a shot of the GG bran crispbread sprinkles:


Parmesan mixing in:


Followed by an egg:


Meatballs scooped onto a baking dish after resting:


Chopped tomatoes for sauce:


Tomato sauce and cherry tomatoes:



 Baked meatballs:

Meatballs in tomato sauce: 



Sauce covered meatballs:



Raw spaghetti squash: 

Cleaned squash:


 Use a fork to de-spaghetti the squash (very technical term, I know):



Clean squash:

Finished product:


Nutrition information per serving topped with one tablespoon shaved Parmesan cheese:
211 calories, 30g carbohydrates, 6.5g fat, 16g protein, 9g fiber

I really loved these meatballs but they do not taste like meat - or have the same texture as meat.  I am already thinking about additives I can try -- walnuts, basil, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese and olives.  I'll report back on these variations once I try them out!

Do you make meatless meatballs or do you prefer traditional beef meatballs?  If you try this version, I'd love to hear your opinion!  Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

Update: These meatballs are also delicious cold the next day.  I'm partial to cold food...but these really are tasty after marinating in the sauce overnight.  

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a great recipe - I just started going gluten free and I think this one could easily be adapted. Any suggestions for gluten free bread crumbs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your question, Kira! I think you could use a gluten free bread (such as the ones from brands like Udi's or Rudi's) and toast it, then pulse it in a food processor to create your own. I haven't personally tried any premade gluten free breadcrumbs, but I am sure the recipe will work just as well with GF bread! Hope you enjoy. xx.

      Delete