Tuesday, February 12, 2013

All Things Spice

When I moved into Boo's apartment, the spices were stored on top of the stove.  This is because the stove was never used.  No offense to Boo, but we needed to find another solution.  Compromises, right?

So, we installed these small shelves on the kitchen wall (they are straight - I don't know why they look distorted here):


 Here's a shot of our kitchen clock above the shelves to help you gauge the spacing:


Here are our various spices:


Curious about that odd shaped item four from the left on the top shelf?  I was too when I first saw it.  That's an all-in-one salt and pepper shaker.  Boo bought it when he first moved into this apartment.  Strange things boys acquire... We made a deal: I couldn't throw it out, but I could register for a new set for our wedding.  Deal.  Again, compromises!  


I should make mention that Boo basically agrees to all the crazy things I think are really important (that are actually really not).  So, if this is his biggest kitchen request, I can manage that.  And you are quite right if you guessed that I registered for some fine looking salt and pepper shakers to replace that strange little guy. 


Back to the spices...from left to right: 


Top shelf:  Trader Joe's smoked paprika, Trader Joe's sea salt, Trader Joe's 21 seasoning salute, salt and pepper shaker, sea salt, cracked black pepper, red pepper flakes, truffle salt, vervacious island roasting rub -- what can I say?  We like different kinds of salts.  In all actuality, a little bit here and there won't hurt you too much.  Unless you have high blood pressure...then maybe try to lay off the shaker.  But I'm not your doctor - so really take what I say with a grain of salt.  Sorry, couldn't help it! 


Bottom shelf: Whole Food's cajun spice mix, cinnamon, garlic powder, oregano, dill, curry powder, chili powder, whole peppercorns, basil and vanilla extract*


A close up on the small jars in the middle of the top shelf, filled with sea salt, cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes:


Side shot:

*In actuality, the vanilla extract should probably live with her baking partners.  But for some reason, she lives here with the spices.  We keep the cumin and taco seasoning with the canned beans in the pantry.  Again, not exactly rational, but it's what works for us.  So that's what we go with...


Having a good collection of spices is beneficial for building deep flavors without adding excess calories.  These a few of my favorites, and the ones I use most often in the kitchen.  I used some of them in challah croutons.  If you don't have a spice collection yet, pick a few that sound good and start there.  You can of course always add more later. 


What spices do you have in your kitchen?  


xx,

The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment