Saturday, February 23, 2013

Imelda Marcos Never Suffered This Fate

I had a favorite pair of boots in need of some serious TLC.  I'm not just talking about a shoe shine.  She needed leather dye, shoe polish, the whole nine yards.  And lots of it. But this is NYC and the guy on the corner can do that, amongst a million other things. Resole Louboutins? Yes! Fix the leather and chain link strap on a Chanel bag? Done. You get the picture...

The boots looked so good when the cobbler was finished with them. And I couldn't wait to wear them. Literally. Boo and I had dinner plans last night and I needed to wear them. So I did. And woke up this morning to 50 black scuffs covering the floor in kitchen to the living room to the bathroom.  My first thought was that this was just rubber scuffs from the soles of our shoes. But all this in just one night? Then it hit me - our apartment was covered in black shoe polish.

Call in the National Guard. This was no joke. I can't have it. How can I get this out? Will it stain? How will I explain this to prospective buyers if we put the apartment on the market? "Sorry about the shoe polish, I really wanted to wear boots after a fresh dye job." Yeah, no. Not going to fly. 

Here's a brief showing of our flooring:





I parked myself in front of my cleaning supplies, wondering what I could use. I tried a damp towel...No. Windex...No. Clorox wipes...No. Then, I remembered I has fresh pack of my best friend - Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. And He worked!  Not only did he remove the actual markings, he left no trace of them at all. In fact I couldn't even find the spots after I scoured our entire apartment. It worked on granite, hardwood and marble. That's pretty good for a petite white sponge...

Directions:

1. Dampen the sponge and wring it out (you don't want the sponge to drip)
2. Apply pressure with the sponge to the area in need (in my case, our whole apartment - NBD) 
3. Continue step #2 until stain is gone

I have found that Magic Erasers work for so many household cleaning issues: mirrors, sinks, an accidental spray paint error, kitchen appliances and baked on messes in stoneware.  I could go on.  I wish I understood how these guys worked so that I could impart impressive knowledge to you all.  But, I don't.  Then again, they are magic.  We might never know...

Have you recently suffered from a home mishap?  

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment