Monday, February 11, 2013

Mexican Food Heaven

I debated even posting about this meal because when the secret is out, this place will be impossible to eat at!

After having a lot of weekend plans cancelled because of the storm, Boo and I were desperate for some outside activities.  We hadn't been to this secret little hole in the wall in a very long time.  So, it was a no brainer:  Cafe Ollin it is! 

Cafe Ollin (recently renamed, but due to customer confusion the old name is still used, yeah I don't understand the logic either...) is in East Harlem on 108th and 1st ave.  



An A! Big up for food safety:


There's a shocking amount of meat options available...so if you are in the mood for cow tongue or spicy goat, this is your place.  In all seriousness, the meat is apparently really good.  Like really good.  I can't vouch for it, though, because I don't eat meat.  But I trust Boo:


The tortilla chips, while clearly homemade, are surprisingly standard. They are thick, and in need of some salt:


Here's what I ordered, the azteca cemita:


Cactus is similar in taste and texture to a pepper - maybe a little tangier.  Like a pickled pepper, very light on the pickle...

The cemitas (Mexican street sandwiches, native to Puebla, Mexico) are literally the size of my head:




Side shot - the restaurant hollows out the rolls to stuff more vegetables into the sandwich than I imagined humanly possible:

The shot above doesn't even really do this baby justice.  Avocado, red onion, tomato, cactus, cilantro and cheese.  Oh the cheese.  They used a delicious Mexican cheese called "quesillo", which is similar to a string cheese but better.  Like better by 1000 fold.  And I love string cheese. 

Boo ordered a carnitas cemita and a chicken taco, pictured below:



By the way, not only is the food amazing, but it is really inexpensive! While the service is notoriously slow, and the ambiance can generally be referred to as casual-rustic, the two of us ate like kings for $25.00! The cemitas are so big, that it was a super-filling brunch and dinner for me.

After brunch we walked to a few stores where we needed I wanted to buy various baubles.  At Gracious Home I found this beauty.  She's serving as the inspiration for a future DIY project - as soon as I can reserve some time in my studio:


Then we went to Whole Foods for some peppers for Boo.  I found this huge Brussels sprout - would have been perfect in yesterday's breakfast:


What's your favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant?  

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

6 comments:

  1. Ok you have convinced me!!!! I want to go next time I am in NYC!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, new at replying. Hope message arrives. Do you do soups? If so, have a delicious Tomato Soup recipe, if you'd like it. Not too difficult to make. And well worth the effort.&

      Delete
  2. 108th street? That's soo far! It's really worth it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd love the recipe - thanks!! I'm a huge tomato soup fan...

    ReplyDelete