Tuesday, February 26, 2013

VitaMuffin Mixes

Do you remember when Vitalicious sent me their Vitapizzas to sample? Okay, maybe you don't...so you can follow that link to refresh your memory.  Well, they also sent me baking mixes. Thank you, Vitalicious!


This weekend Boo and I sampled the banana muffin and corn muffin varieties. 

For all the non-bakers out there, this product is for you! The corn muffins only need 2 ingredients plus the mix: egg whites and water. And the banana muffin only 3: egg whites, water and chocolate chips or walnuts. In retrospect, I probably should have added in an almost-too-ripe banana. That would have brought the ingredients a whopping 4!  



Better yet - these muffins are 100 calories or less each when prepared according to the directions.  If I had added a banana in, the caloric impact would be minimal since it's split over a dozen (12) muffins. Curious about the math? 1 small banana is around 80 calories. 80/12= 6.6. Less than 7 additional calories. 

Want more? You won't have a huge amount of dishes to do when you're finished with these muffins. I used one bowl. Who wants to do dishes after baking? 

The corn muffins are not overly sweet. Which I appreciated since I used mine to make croutons in a salad (similar to my challah croutons - the day after, I diced a muffin, sprayed with olive oil, seasoned salt+pepper and roasted on 425 about 10mins). Boo spread a bit of a honey on his. 








The banana muffins  had a mild banana flavor, which is why I might add a fresh banana next time. I added chocolate chips. One person in our home really loves chocolate. And I like to bake for this person. Can you guess who it is? 

I added one additional chocolate chip to each muffin. This probably added 8 calories to the total. Again, we're not talking about belt-busting numbers here.  Next time, Ill add walnuts and chocolate chips. 


I used a nonstick muffin tray, sprayed well with olive oil (cooking spray would work fine) which alleviated the need for paper liners:







Each muffin is packed with 15 vitamins and minerals plus fiber --


Nutrition information per serving of corn muffin:
100 calories, 24g carbohydrates, 0g fat, 3g protein, 10g fiber

Nutrition information per serving of banana chocolate chip muffin:
90 calories, 21g carbohydrates, 2.5g fat, 5g protein, 6g fiber

Just for fun, I took a picture of a Jiffy mix:



Looks a little different, huh?

Do you bake from mixes or from scratch? What's your favorite muffin?


xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

Disclaimer: Vitalicious graciously sent me complimentary boxes of baking mixes, but I was not compensated for my time or for this blog post.  All opinions are my own. 

2 comments:

  1. Ms. Wolfie.
    I'm heading to Santa Cruz at the end of March for my cycling team's training camp. I would love to surprise the girls with a hearty breakfast muffin that will gear us up for a 40 - 60 mile bike ride. Don't worry we snack as we ride! Do you have any suggestions?

    BTW I adore the Chocolate Monster you have living in your house.
    nom nom nom
    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HB -- I would try whole wheat flour, oatmeal, an egg, cinnamon, a little brown sugar and raisins or dried cranberries...something sweet for a quick burst of energy. Good luck on your ride. I'll send my chocolate monster your best! We love you! xoxo

      Delete