Tuesday, February 19, 2013

$500 for $40

How many times do you hear someone say "I need a new hair stylist." Maybe you don't hear this as often as I do...but I know I say it a lot. It's hard to find someone who you can rely on to give you consistently a good 'do. 

I read about Liana on Juliet's blog, Juliet's Getting Married, and knew I wanted to try her. After all, I'd been recently abandoned by my girl who charged me $175 for a trim. Maybe that's not fair - she was good but then she moved! And without notice, I was stylist-less again. See: I say it all the time. 

So, I contacted Liana, who couldn't be sweeter. She got back to me right away with a date for my cut!  

Here's the deal: Liana is training at Sarge Normant in the meatpacking district, and she cuts hair on models Wednesday nights for $40 cash. Now I don't know where you live, but here in NYC, $40 for a haircut is nonexistent. Like, it doesn't happen.  Maybe $40 for hair products, but not for the actual cut.  Which is why you need to meet Liana! 

I wanted a trim and some shaping.  (I also imagine I have the easiest hair to cut in America. I know this is a big statement but it's pin-straight. More on that later...) She and another stylist (Jacob) listened to my request, then she got to it!  She also took her time with me, and didn't rush to finish or scoot me out of her chair in under 20 minutes. You want to feel good about someone who is holding scissors thisclose to your face. No rushing please! 

When Liana was satisfied with her work, Jacob came over to look at my hair. He commended her for a job well done and made just a few tiny touch ups. Stylists at Sarge Normant can charge up to $500 per haircut...so you can imagine my excitement when he got those paws on my hair. 

After my hair was approved (thanks, Jacob!) Liana asked if I wanted curls. Oh, she already knows me so well! I love curls and body and bounce and volume. And she gave me all that! 

The picture is a litte blurry, but if you look closely (past the leopard) you'll see the curls:



And my hair lasted through a full day at the hospital (starting at 630am), through class, and into Valentine's day dinner with Boo!  As mentioned above, this is quite a feat. All the straight haired girls out there know my pain: you put a curling iron through your hair and before you leave the house it's straight again!  

I suggest anyone (looking for a new stylist or not) contact Liana. She's so sweet and talented! I'm so happy with my results, I can't wait to go back.  

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

p.s. I'm happy to pass along her information...contact me if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment