Friday, February 15, 2013

Kale Pesto

It was bound to happen -- all of my favorites together again: kale, walnuts, garlic.  Oh yes. 

This came about because I had a surplus of kale in need of usage (although kale will stay awhile in the fridge, this batch needed to go soon) and I wanted to eat it with tuna but not as a salad.  I know - so many demands! 

I decided to use my food processor after all...I did brave Nemo for a new one

Ingredients for two portions:
4C kale, rinse and dried, stems discarded 
1/4C walnuts, raw
1 tsp olive oil
2 gloves garlic, chopped*
Salt + pepper to taste 

*if raw garlic isn't your thing, try garlic powder for a more mellow taste 

Directions:
1. Rinse and dry the kale, remove the leaves and discard the stems
2. Roughly chop kale into pieces and place in food processor 
3. Pulse the kale a few times to break it down
4. If using raw garlic, remove shells and roughly chop, add to food processor (if using garlic powder, just measure and place in food processor)
5. Roughly chop the walnuts and add to food processor
6. Pulse to combine the ingredients until barely combined
7. Add olive oil, salt and pepper and continue to pulse until you have your desired consistency

Personally, I don't like oily pesto, but if you prefer yours with more oil, just add it in. 


Rinsed kale:



Chopped kale:




More finely chopped kale:




Tuna with kale pesto and avocado - I was in a green mood:



Nutrition information per serving:
166 calories, 10g carbohydrates, 13g fat, 5g protein, 3g fiber

This pesto would work well on a sandwich or as an add in with tuna or chicken salad (as I used it) with avocado.  But, think about all the other items you could add in: Parmesan cheese, toasted pine nuts or hazelnuts, red pepper flakes...the list goes on!

What's your favorite kind of pesto?  Hope you enjoy...

xx,

The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment