Friday, February 22, 2013

Tuna with Pita Chips

Last night I had a serious craving for tuna.  There was nothing else that would even come close to my dinner plate.  It was tuna or bust!  I needed a vehicle for the tuna, though.  And it had to be crispy and crunchy and garlicy and smokey.  Such a demanding girl! Here's what I came up with...

Ingredients for tuna:

1 can tuna (I like solid white albacore in water, if you use tuna in oil just be aware that the calories will be higher than what's posted below)
2tbsp Chobani plain 0%
2tsp garlic powder
2tsp Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute (Mrs. Dash would probably be a fine swap)
1/4C avocado
salt + pepper to taste

Ingredients for pita chips:

1 Flatout wrap
Spritz of olive oil 
Garlic powder, smoked paprika and sprinkle of sea salt to taste (I'm exact like that...but for those looking for actual proportions, try 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and paprika and a pinch of salt)

Directions:

1. Drain tuna very well and place in a bowl
2. Combine yogurt, garlic powder, seasoning salute, salt and pepper
3. Cover and refrigerate (I prefer at least one hour)
4. Place the wrap on a cutting board, and cut it in half diagonally 
5. Place the two triangles on top of each other and cut in half again (repeat until you have chips of appropriate size (about 6-8 depending on the wrap you use)
6. Place chips on a baking sheet, spritz lightly with olive oil using something like (this Misto*), sprinkle salt, garlic powder and paprika on top
7. Bake on 350 5-6 minutes depending how crunchy you want your chips (I went all out for a high crunch...about 6 minutes)
8. Remove tuna from refrigerator, dice avocado and top tuna 
9. Serve tuna cold with pita chips 

*Coupon eligible at BBB, I wouldn't lead you astray...


Tuna preparations:



One Flatout wrap:




Cutting the wrap into two pieces:






Pita chips cut into triangles:



Pita chips fresh out of the oven:


Finished product:


For the detailed oriented readers out there - this one's for you:




Nutrition information per serving of tuna:
203 calories, 5g carbohydrates, 5g fat, 30g protein, 3g fiber

Nutrition information per serving of pita chips:
130 calories, 24g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 8g protein, 8g fiber

Nutrition information per serving of whole meal:
333 calories, 29g carbohydrates, 7g fat, 38g protein, 11g fiber

You could mix pita toppings together before sprinkling over the chips. I didn't - I'm lazy like that: it was a seasoning free-for-all.  Every spice for himself.


I chose to use Chobani instead of mayonnaise - you could also mix the two (similar to the skinny egg salad technique) if you need a little mayo in your life. Ain't no shame in that - you should enjoy what you eat! But I have an obsession love Chobani, so I opted for a little more protein and healthy bacteria.  Sounds tasty, I know! 


What foods do you crave?  Hope you enjoy...


xx,

The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment