Sunday, February 17, 2013

Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing

I'm sorry.  I know I promised this to you a while ago after I showed you a picture on instagram and then didn't post the recipe.  Bad Wolf!  It won't happen again any time soon.  Torah.

This would be perfect on a garbage salad or garbage bowl.  Or with carrots (the way I served it to Boo) or pita chips or green beans or slathered on a sandwich.  I could go on, but I'll spare you from the boredom of reading a list of foods that I like to eat.


This is an easy recipe.  My dad always says "if you can read, you can cook" but that's especially true in this case.  Or maybe even more accurate: if you can stir, you can cook...

Ingredients for two servings:


1/3C Chobani 0% plain
1 tbsp low fat sour cream (I like Daisy)
1/2 oz blue cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp red wine vinegar* 
salt + pepper to taste
smoked paprika to top (optional)

*could also use champagne or tarragon vinegar - whatever you have that is light in color since balsamic could turn the dressing a darker color


Directions:


1. In a small bowl, add yogurt, sour cream and blue cheese, stir to combine
2. Add garlic powder and red wine vinegar, stir to combine
3. Taste the mixture and add salt + pepper as you like
4. If you want to thin out the mixture a bit, add a touch more vinegar and taste again to be sure your flavors are good
5. Transfer mixture into a smaller bowl if you're using it as a dip, top with paprika and serve with your choice of goodies. Or if you are using it as a dressing, refrigerate until you're ready to use it, then dress the salad as you normally would - just be aware that the longer it sits, the thicker it becomes

What you'll need (the pepper canister is partially hid in the top left, but was featured here if you'd like a better view):



Mixing together:

Blue cheese carrot (see how thick it is?):


Pre-service (we're really formal here...) in a ramekin:


Final product:


Nutrition information per serving:
131 calories, 7g carbohydrates, 5g fat, 12g protein, 0g fiber


Nutrition information for the entire recipe**:
66 calories, 4g carbohydrates, 3g fat, 6g protein, 0g fiber


**There's no shame in enjoying the whole ramekin - it's that good...I'm honest like that. 

I plan to make this everyday.  I really enjoyed it.  Like a lot.  If you are like me, you will want a bit more garlic powder that this recipe calls for, if you are like Boo you will not want me to do this - do you get my drift?  I have a problem with garlic.  As in, I want to eat it with everything.  In copious amounts.  

All of the spices used in this recipe were featured in this post, check that out if you need a refresher on jarred spices! 


What's your favorite way to eat blue cheese dressing?  Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting!!!! Making this tomorrow! With the extra garlic of course

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha you totally are going to love it with extra garlic...can't wait to hear how it goes!! xx.

      Delete