Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Protein pancakes


I waver back and forth between liking sweet breakfasts (greek yogurt and berries or spinach in a glass) and liking savory breakfasts (egg white omelettes or egg scrambles).  

The other day my friend Juliana told me she was making blueberry protein pancakes and I was intrigued...blueberries and oatmeal are two of my favorite foods.  I asked her for the recipe and she sent me here.  I thought this was a great starting point, but I scaled back the proportions to make it a smaller meal.  After all, small frequent meals - think 6 mini meals - are much better than 3 larger meals in terms of keeping your waistline trim and keeping your metabolism going strong...plus, wouldn't you rather be able to eat more frequently throughout the day?  Another perk of this mini meal: protein and fiber - to keep you feeling full longer!

Ingredients:

1/3c dry rolled oats (not instant oatmeal)
1/3c liquid egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp ground cinnamon



Optional: 
1 splenda packet or 1 tbsp maple syrup or honey

Directions:
1. In a blender mix all ingredients until smooth
2. Heat a non-stick skillet, coated with non-stick spray, on medium heat
3. Pour batter into hot skillet, cook 3 minutes, then flip using a spatula, cook another 2 minutes or until the pancake is your desired crispness 
4. Serve with fresh fruit, or top with greek yogurt and chopped nuts

Pancake pre-flip:

Pancake post-flip:

Final product, I topped mine with sliced strawberries:


These are not the fluffiest pancakes, but they are tasty and healthful.  And at under 200 calories a pop, I'll take it.  Hope you enjoy!

Nutrition information per serving with no added sweetener:
172 calories, 24 g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 12g protein, 7g fiber

I will try different variations on this recipe, so check back for more ideas!

What's your favorite way to make pancakes?  Let me know if you try these protein packed pancakes, I'd love to hear from you!

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment