Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Simple Poached Egg

I love eggs.  As in I could eat eggs for every meal: all day, everyday kind of love...

Which inspired this week's Meatless Monday dinner - curried cauliflower with sweet potato and roasted green beans - topped with a poached egg.



To roast the vegetables I preheated the oven to 375 degrees, then separated a cauliflower head into florets.  I like the stem part so I left some of it on, but if you don't just remove more of it.  On one side of a large baking sheet, I tossed the cauliflower with 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of curry; on the other, I tossed green beans with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a little salt and pepper.  Once the oven is heated, put the vegetables in for 25 minutes.  As mentioned before, I like crispy food, so I left mine in just a bit longer.  You can keep checking back every 5 minutes or so until the food is done to your liking.  

While the cauliflower and green beans cook, I microwaved a small sweet potato by piercing it with a fork on each side and covering it in a damp paper towel.  Microwave on high for 5 minutes, then dice into large bites.  This is such a great way to cook sweet potatoes as they can take FOREVER to roast in the oven.  I put the sweet potato into the oven with the other vegetables until they were crisp - love the crisp!

As the vegetables are cooking, bring a pot of water to a boil, and crack an egg into a small ramekin.  As soon as the water begins to boil, add in 2 tablespoons of vinegar.  This will reduce the water to a simmer, at which point you can gently drop the egg into the water.  Cook the egg for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes (I like a very runny yolk, but the longer you cook the egg, the harder it will become.)  

As the egg is cooking, take the vegetables out of the oven and plate - mixing the cauliflower and sweet potato on one side, and green beans on the other.  As soon as the egg is finished, remove it from the water and drain with a slotted spoon.  Place over the cauliflower and sweet potato.  Crack the yolk and enjoy!   


Have you ever used the microwave method to cook a sweet potato? Do you like eggs, too?  How do you like to make them?  Anyone into curried eggs?  Ahh...come to mama.

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

No comments:

Post a Comment