Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Guacamole For The Win

Guacamole is a crowd pleaser.  I mean, really - who doesn't love a good gauc?  Please introduce me to someone who does not like guacamole...because I have never met one person who fits that description. 

I'm a bit of a creature of habit, and have been making this same recipe for years.  If it ain't broke, right?

Ingredients for 6 servings:
2 avocados
2 limes, juiced (this makes it nice and tangy)
1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup tomato, chopped (can also use sliced grape or cherry tomatoes if that's what you have on hand)
sea salt to taste
optional: chopped cilantro and red pepper flakes

Directions:
1. Dice the onion and tomatoes, juice the limes
2. Slice avocados in half and remove the pits (I do this by taking a large knife and hitting it into the middle of the pit - please be careful, if you are unsure what I mean, then you should remove the pit the way you normally do, and I should work on my descriptive writing skills)
3. With a paring knife, score the flesh of the avocado (without cutting through the skin) lengthwise, then widthwise to create squares
4. Run a tablespoon around the inside of the skin to release the flesh
5. Cover avocados with lime juice and mash to combine
6. Add tomatoes and onions to the avocado and lime mixture and combine, then season with salt 

Here's the finished product:



Nutrition information per serving:
92 calories, 3g carbohydrates, 17g fat, 2g protein, 21g fiber 

You may wish to gussy your gauc (GYG) with additional heat, but I don't love spicy food so I leave red pepper flakes out.  I do, however, love me some cilantro, so I often use that...just mix it right in!  My sister and I literally cannot get enough, in fact she once said cilantro was her favorite food.  Torah (you know - Bible...but for Jews). 

Did you know that keeping the pit in the guacamole can help it from browning?  Well, that and lime juice (acid counteracts oxidation)...

What's your favorite way to eat guacamole?  Do you like it spicy or tangy?  Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

4 comments:

  1. this looks delicious! definitely trying this

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! Obsessed with guac and this looks so good - making it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete