Friday, January 25, 2013

Egg Salad on the Skinny

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm big on eggs.  I also really love cold food.  As in all food that has ever existed is tasty to me when it's eaten cold... especially foods like egg salad -- "I love luke warm egg salad" - said no one ever.  

I am going to be frank, and apologize now for the photo heavy post...but we're learning here, people!  So if seeing 10 photos of hard boiled eggs is not your thing (is it really anyone's thing, though?) then you might not be interested in going further with this one.  Let me put it this way: if you are a visual learner, I imagine you will get an A in egg salad.  I also have to apologize for the wording in this post.  But, let's be honest - there is just no dainty way to talk about yolk removal.  I'm baring it all for you.  And by "all" I mean, my skinny egg salad technique.  


Ingredients:
4 eggs, hard boiled then cooled and peeled (I use Eggland's Best - they are tasty!)
1 tbsp light mayonaise or Chobani plain yogurt
Salt + pepper to taste (lots of pepper - remember, we are going for high flavor, low fat!)
Option additions: curry powder, chives, red onion, scallions, dill, red pepper flakes


Directions:
1. Cover eggs with water in a sauce pan, then bring water to a strong boil and cook for 2 minutes
2. After 2 minutes, turn off the burner, cover the saucepan and let stand for 10 minutes
3. Pour out hot water from sauce pan, refill with cold water and ice cubes
4. Let eggs sit in cold water until they are cold (some of the ice will melt during this time)
5. Remove the eggs from cold water and peel them, keeping 1 egg whole and removing the yolk from the other 3 eggs*
6. Mix in light mayonaise or Chobani plain yogurt and season with salt and pepper, then mash to combine

*A note on peeling hard boiled eggs:  I find that eggshells are more easily removed when the eggs are cold, so eating cold egg salad really does make the most sense (just kidding...).  To begin peeling your eggs, dry them so that you don't get water into the egg salad, then gently press each egg on the counter to crack the shell.  Remove each eggshell, making sure not to leave any pieces of the shell on the egg.  Slice the eggs in half with the back of the knife (meaning the serrated side is up).  There are two techniques - you can either gently squeeze the white to see if the yolk will pop out on its own, or you can run the back of the knife around the white to remove the yolk.  

After I rolled the egg on my counter, the shell cracked and the top began to separate:



A shelled egg, yours will look like this too:




The back of the knife cutting into the egg:



A clarifying shot:


I had to document the "yolk removing itself from the white" moment because this almost never happens.  So please don't assume that this will happen for you and then be mad at me when it doesn't:




If the above scenario doesn't happen, here is how you run the back of your knife around the egg:



The yolk-free egg white:


The eggs with yolks removed plus one whole egg:




Pre-mashed eggs plus seasoning of your choosing:




If you are uncertain you can measure a level tablespoon, try weighing your measure - most kitchen scales weigh in ounces and grams, use the measure that makes the most sense (typically what is listed on the nutrition label).  Here are some available at BBB (coupon eligible!) 

The final product:





Skinny egg salad nutrition information per serving with light mayonnaise:
153 calories, 1 g carbohydrates, 8 g fat, 18 g protein, 0 g fiber

Skinny egg salad nutrition information per serving with Chobani plain yogurt:
127 calories, 1 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, 19 g protein, 0 g fiber

Skinny egg salad nutrition information per serving with half light mayonnaise and half  Chobani plain yogurt:
140 calories, 1 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 18 g protein, 0 g fiber

I served my skinny egg white salad with roasted green beans (sorry to be boring, but I love them and we have 2 pounds to use!) and homemade blue cheese dressing.  Check back soon for that recipe! 

Entire meal:
363 calories, 23 g carbohydrates, 20 g fat, 23 g protein, 7 g fiber

Do you try to lighten up favorite recipes?  Please let me know if you try this egg salad, I'd love to hear how you like it!  Hope you enjoy...


xx,

The Future Mrs. Wolf

2 comments:

  1. Your egg white-only eggs came out so great! What's your opinion on egg beaters?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I prefer All Whites to Egg Beaters, but it's just a personal opinion.

      Delete