Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Berry Fiber Breakfast

I make breakfast almost every day unless I have brunch plans on the weekends or a breakfast meeting.  I actually never have breakfast meetings since I do not have a job, so really it's just if I have brunch plans...

As a general rule of thumb, it's best to try and incorporate protein, fat and carbohydrates at every meal: this is eating in a healthy and balanced way.  This breakfast incorporates all three nutrients in a tasty and filling way.  And fiber keeps you full.  Win-win.

You may recall I mentioned before, I like savory and sweet breakfasts.  One day this weekend I chose sweet...

Ingredients:
1 8oz container of Friendship 1% cottage cheese
1 tbsp crofter's premium spread in raspberry
4 GG bran crispbread crackers
4 large strawberries, sliced

Directions:
1. Mix 1 tbsp of crofter's premium spread raspberry into the cup of cottage cheese
2. Spread 4 GG bran crispbread crackers onto a plate
3. Evenly spread 1/4 of the cottage cheese mixture on each of the GG bran crispbread crackers
4. Arrange strawberry slices on top of cottage cheese mixture
5. Pour yourself a large glass of water to enjoy with this meal (don't skip this step!)

Everything you will need:
 

Jam and cottage cheese pre-mix:



Final product which should keep you full for the next 5 years (just kidding!):

If you follow me on instagram, you may have seen this picture before.

Nutrition information per serving:
281 calories, 50g carbohydrates, 2g fat, 36g protein, 21g fiber (net carbohydrates 29g)

Are you curious how a 50g carbohydrate meal actually has 29g of "net" carbohydrates?  The answer is very simple: fiber reduces the amount of digestible carbohydrates - just subtract the total grams of fiber from the total grams of carbohydrate and you are left with your net carbohydrate total.   

Friendship 1% is the best tasting cottage cheese I have found.  And I have tasted a lot.  While there is some saturated fat (the kind you want to limit your consumption of), it is very minimal.  Some fat-free versions of foods are okay.  But, if we are being honest here (and I am!) fat-free cottage cheese tastes awful.  Sometimes you need a little milk fat.  Is that gross?  Sorry if it is, but it's true, it's makes a huge difference. 

This meal should be eaten with a large glass of water...there is a lot of fiber to be had!  If you decide to try these crackers, you may wish to start slowly (with 1 or 2 per day) and see how your body reacts.  Some people can eat 8 each day, and others have a hard time with 2.  Everyone is different.  Just don't forget the water...

Also - under no circumstances should you eat these crackers alone.  They will taste like cardboard.  They are an excellent source of fiber, which is why they taste like cardboard if you eat them alone.  Instead, think of them as a vehicle to enjoy other foods: cottage cheese, peanut butter, guacamole, tzatziki for example. 

What's your favorite sweet breakfast?  I'd love to hear your thoughts if you try this breakfast!  Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

2 comments:

  1. I hate cottage cheese but I'm going to try your recommendation after this post. One of my favorite breakfasts is something I stole from Lauren Conrad and edited a bit. It's a night before prep: 1 c steel cut oats, 1/4 c vanilla (or plain) soy milk, 1 small container greek yogurt (plain or flavored) and then I toss in dried or fresh fruit, nuts, and/or flax seeds. Very filling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love overnight oats! Those sound yummy. I hope you like this breakfast! Please let me know what you think, xx!

      Delete