Thursday, April 18, 2013

Coconut Strawberry Oatmeal Muffins

I enjoy baking, and occasionally get the baking bug...as in I want to bake all the time. Everyday!  And I know a Boo who won't complain if I do...


I'm also not one for wasting food -- hello, garbage salads and garbage bowls. This recipe helped me use a up a decent amount of almost-too-ripe strawberries. Waste not, want not!  And I have a few things on my "want" list, so this lady isn't wasting a thing!


Ingredients:
1C all purpose flour
1/2C old fashioned rolled oats
1/4C flaxseeds, ground (grinding the flax yourself in a food processor is best for the highest 
potency, but if you aren't able to do this, pre-ground will work)
2 tbsp granulated sugar (use more if you want sweeter muffins)
2tsp baking powder 
6oz plain low fat Greek yogurt (could use honey or vanilla flavored)
1/4C skim milk
1/4C coconut oil, melted 
1 tsp vanilla
1C diced strawberries 
Pinch sea salt 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease a 12 muffin tray
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl
3. Add wet ingredients 
4. Gently stir strawberries into batter
5. Divide evenly over muffin tray
6. Bake for 22-28 minutes, checking to be sure the center is cooked
7. Cool on a wire rack

What you'll need:


Cooling:

Serving one up for Boo:


 Muffin top - best part! Do you see that big strawberry bite on the left?  So good:


These muffins are mildly sweet as is, with the minimal addition of sugar. But, the sweetness will also be determined by the strawberries. Some are just naturally sweeter than others, so there might be mild variation. 

This was my first time cooking with coconut oil. And it was a labor of love to get that damn stuff out of the glass jar it came in. All for you, Boo!  Coconut oil comes in solid form, and I used a spoon to painstakingly scrape my 1/4C measure. But it was worth it, the muffins have a mild coconut flavor that compliments the strawberries quite well. Fruit salad for dessert, anyone?!

Have you ever used coconut oil in baking? I'd love to hear from you if you try this recipe! Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

p.s.: It's only right that I tell you what an amazing cuticle moisturizer straight coconut oil is. I know what you're probably thinking -- baking and manicure tips?! Well, yes of course!

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I have these in the oven right now and you don't have a baking time in your recipe. I'm sure I can figure it out but FYI? I'll let you know how these turn out as I did not have greek yogurt and had to substitute some sour cream and vanilla yogurt in its place. I'm kinda worried to be honest but they're only muffins and I can try again!! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The muffins turned out great!My substitution was 1/2c sour cream and 1/4c vanilla yogurt(fat-free)and I didn't add the flax only because I don't have any. I'd like to tell you exactly how long I baked these but i didn't pay close attention and they took long than I thought they would. I think it's because the strawberries are so moist. I think I baked them for approximately 25-30 minutes.

      Delete
  2. you are right, thank you! i just updated the post. i am so happy you liked the muffins and your swaps sound great! enjoy them. xx.

    ReplyDelete