Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Canopy New York

I just learned that May is Sun Awareness month, and I’m realizing there’s a lot of information to be aware of.  For example, did you know that 20% of Americans will be diagnosed with skin cancer over the course of their lifetime?  It’s a sobering statistic.  Awareness of this topic is very important, because most people don’t realize that the sun’s rays can reach your skin through clouds and windows.  That’s why its so important to use sun protection every day – even if it’s overcast, or if you’ll be spending the day in an office.  

But if you’re anything like me, you aren’t excited to wake up and slather your body in sunscreen – it’s tough to blend into your skin, leaves marks on your clothes, and in my opinion, most sunscreens smell like chemicals.  

Luckily, there’s a better option for sun protection – Canopy New York makes clothing from fabrics that block 98% of the sun’s rays – the same level of protection that SPF 50 sunscreen offers.  Aside from the scientific benefits of Canopy’s sun protective clothing, their designs are also incredibly chic – I need to get my hands on a Popover ASAP.  But my favorite feature of the company is that my sister is the founder!

In conjunction with Sun Awareness month, she and her team are running a kickstarter campaign in an effort to raise funds to produce their first collection.  I’m going to celebrate Sun Awareness by ordering the Popover and the T (don't you love the two-tone?!) so that I can keep my skin protected whenever I come in contact with the sun – which I’m realizing is more often than I’d known.







Which design is your favorite?

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

2 comments: