Thursday, March 6, 2014

Brussels Sprout and Cauliflower Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts and Feta Cheese

Both of the vegetables in this recipe might surprise you. But they work together. And everyone is eating Brussels sprouts right now. And kale. And chia seeds. And goji berries. Am I right or am I right? Anyway, I was really into shaved vegetables for a long period of my life. On second thought, I suppose I still am...But I'm going to cut to the chase.  I know many of you (maybe with the exception of my mum) are not here for the back story.  So I'll spare you the details of this one...

Brussels Sprout and Cauliflower Salad with Toasted Hazelnuts and Feta Cheese




Ingredients for 4 servings:
1 head cauliflower, florets removed from stalk, washed and dried 
1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed, dried, stems and outer leaves removed 
2 lemons, juiced 
1/4C olive oil 
1/2C crumbled feta cheese or shaved Parmesan cheese 
1/4C crushed hazelnuts, toasted
Salt + pepper to taste 
Red pepper flakes, optional 

Directions:
1. Cut large pieces of cauliflower and Brussels sprouts to make it easier to shred
2. With the shredding attachment on your food processor, shred the cauliflower and Brussels sprouts, set aside 
3. Whisk lemon juice and olive oil until emulsified, season to taste with salt and pepper 
4. In a heavy-bottomed skillet, toast the hazelnuts over low heat until just fragrant (watch to be sure they don't burn) 
5. In a large bowl, mix cauliflower and Brussels sprouts with vinaigrette
6. Add hazelnuts and cheese, toss to combine
7. Serve immediately or refrigerate 

*If you don't plan to serve immediately, add the hazelnuts and cheese when you are ready to do so.  Feel free to dress it and let it sit in the fridge until you are ready to serve.  The shredded vegetables are hearty, and should be able to stand up to the acidity of the vinaigrette, just fine. 











I went through a phase of eating a version of this salad daily. I couldn't stop! It hit the spot time and time again.  

I'm curious: What are your favorite vegetables to eat raw?  If you make this salad, or a version of it, I'd love to hear about it!  Hope you enjoy...

xx,
Mrs. Wolf 

7 comments:

  1. I found your blog from Joy Of Kosher! I love it! This recipe looks tasty! I will have to try this one and your cauliflower soup! Do you always toast your hazelnuts before you eat them? Or do you eat them raw?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Yoshi. I'm so glad you like the Joy of Kosher recipes too! I eat hazelnuts both raw and toasted, but toasting really brings out the flavor!

      All the best...MW

      Delete
  2. Megan, looks amazing! And you are most definitely right about the Brussel Sprouts situation...I am obsessed! Can't wait to try this recipe. Thank you for sharing.

    My favorite simple BS sides in the city right now are Friedman's and Tuck Shop. Freidman's approach is shaved brussel sprouts with honey, pecorino, aged sherry. Tuck Shop keeps it simple but DELICIOUS with roasted brussel sprouts with butter, salt and pepper.

    Xx hope you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOW!! Both dishes sound amazing -- definitely love honey with Brussels sprouts. I think I am on the slowly on the mend, thank you! All the best...MW.

      Delete
  3. I definitely will need to try this salad- I love brussels sprouts! My favorite veggies to eat raw are probably carrots, baby spinach, and pickles (do pickles count?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes!! Pickles are so good. I hope you enjoy the salad...xx, MW.

      Delete
  4. OMG I want to make this.

    ReplyDelete