Monday, March 3, 2014

How To Make Cilantro Pesto

Cilantro is one of those ingredients: you love it or you hate it. I love it. My sister takes  L O V E to a whole new level. It's her favorite food. Must run in our family.  This recipe was born (like many others) from an excess of ingredients I took a chance with and la la la...we're eating pesto! 

The bones of this pesto compare to other pesto recipes: olive oil, nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, spices.  And I make similar pestos with various greens (parsley, basil, spinach, kale, mustards) and other nuts (walnuts, peanuts, pine nuts, cashews). Do your own thing: choose a green and choose a nut. You can do no wrong. And la la la, you'll be eating pesto in no time. 

Ingredients for 6 servings:
2 bunches cilantro, washed, dried and leaves removed (some stems are fine, they taste good!) 
1 lemon, juiced 
1/4 C whole almonds, toasted  
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese 
1/2 tsp sea salt 
2 tbsp good olive oil 
Cracked black pepper and red pepper flakes to taste 

Directions:
1. Blend first five ingredients in a food processor until just combined (scrape down the edges as needed) 
2. With the processor running, slowly drizzle in olive oil
3. Taste and season 
4. Serve immediately or refrigerate for later 








I've experimented serving this with crackers, pretzels and Simple and Crisp slices, over poached eggs, and with fish. If you choose to eat it alone, I won't blame you. Or judge you. It's that good. 

What's your take on cilantro? Do you love it or hate it? I hope you enjoy this recipe...I'd love to hear how you like it. 

xx,


Mrs. Wolf 

2 comments:

  1. This looks so good. I have never made anything with cilantro, I have just used it as a garnish but I really like the flavor. I will have to try your recipe soon. How Do you toast almonds?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to toast whole raw almonds in a dry pan over very low heat. Watch them to make sure they don't burn! Hope you enjoy the recipe. All the best...MW.

      Delete