Monday, October 21, 2013

Greek At Home: How To


Greek cuisine is one my favorites. And New York City has no shortage of amazing Greek establishments. But, for health's sake, I can't exactly go out to eat every night, so it's time to get resourceful. 

I fancy myself a capable home-cook. But, some foods really should be left to the professionals. Sous vide anything? Never in my home. Whole roasted pig on a spit? Absolutely not. But, tzatziki? That I can do. And so can you! 

There are few spices I love a much as garlic. I've truly never met a dish that's too garlicky. When paired with freshly squeezed lemon juice and fresh dill, this recipe is a knockout. 

Ingredients:
16oz low fat Greek yogurt (I use plain 2% Chobani or Fage)
3/4 of 1 medium hot-house cucumber, peeled and grated 
1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed and minced 
1 lemon, juiced 
Kosher salt to taste 

Directions:
1. Empty one 16oz container of Greek yogurt into a fine mesh strainer fit over a bowl, cover, and refrigerate at least 2 hours
2. Place grated cucumber into another fine mesh strainer fit over a bowl, cover the cucumber with a folded paper towel, and place a weight on it to press out excess liquid, cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours
3. Periodically check on the cucumber, changing the covering and pushing on it to help release more liquid
4. After 2 hours, remove yogurt and cucumber from the refrigerator 
5. Chop dill and garlic, set aside 
6. In a large mixing bowl, combine yogurt, cucumber, garlic and dill
7. Juice a lemon over the yogurt mixture and stir to combine**
8. Taste and season with sea salt 

*By "weight" in step 2, I mean something heavy enough to press out the water, but not too heavy that the strainer goes askew and falls off the bowl.

** Need a juicing refresher? Check here for a post on my favorite way to juice a lemon. 

what you'll need

strained yogurt

grated cucumbers 

strained, grated cucumbers 

my very technical method of weighing down the cucumbers -- csa acorn squash

minced  garlic and dill

the liquid from cucumbers

cucumber, garlic and dill with the strained Greek yogurt

our finished product

serving up our tzatziki with triscuits 

salmon, tzatziki and cauliflower rice

salmon, tzatziki over mixed greens with lemon vinaigrette

We like this best with oven-roasted salmon, or as a dip with pita chips or crackers.  

A note on low-fat dairy: in this recipe, 2% yogurt produces a significantly richer taste and texture than 0%. A little milk fat goes a long way here.  With respect to fat in dairy products I choose skim milk, low fat yogurt and cottage cheese (unless the yogurt is sweetened, then opting for 0% makes sense), and full fat cheese. I don't usually waiver from this.  2% yogurt could be swapped for 0% or even full fat (though that would produce a significantly more caloric version).  

Have you ever made a yogurt based dip? Do you prefer low fat or full fat dairy? I'd love to hear from you if you try this recipe. Hope you enjoy...

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf

2 comments:

  1. yum! I love Greek food and am always making med inspired dishes (I am Portuguese after all!) but I have yet to make dip! I'll have to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy this recipe. It is so rich and creamy!

      Delete