Monday, October 14, 2013

Apple Cinnamon Sugar Streusel Muffins

MY PEOPLE!  I need to apologize.  Things have been so busy here at the Wolf den.  I am back in school full-time to finish my Masters degree, after completing my Dietetic Internship.  Then there is wedding planning.  Plus, I've been studying for my licensing exam like a lunatic fueled on coffee and garbage salads.  But, I am so happy to report that I passed!  And I am officially a Registered Dietitian.  Yippee!


  ::jumping up and down:: 

Selfless promotion: holler at your girl if you are looking for a nutritionist.  I'm your woman. 

But I have no ego, I know why you are here...and it's not to hear about my schedule.  So...without further ado, here is a banging recipe for some sweet apple muffins. 

Ingredients:

Muffins:
2 cups whole wheat flour 
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda 
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp kosher salt
2 whole eggs
1 cup low fat sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
1/4 stick of butter, melted 
1 tsp vanilla 
1 1/2 - 2 cups apple, peeled and finely chopped* (about 1-2 apples depending on size)

*I used granny smith because they are tart (and my favorite apple of all time)

Streusel topping:
3 tbsp whole wheat flour  
3 sugar
1 tsp cinnamon 
1 tbsp butter

Directions: 
1. Combine dry ingredients
2. Combine wet ingredients 
3. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
4. Prepare apples (if you do this too soon, they will oxidize and turn brown...while it won't hurt the flavor, it's not as pretty)
5. Mix wet and dry ingredients together until just combined
6. Add apples and stir
7. Evenly distribute on a muffin pan, about 2/3 full**
8. Make the streusel topping by cutting the butter into the dry ingredients
9. Top each muffin with about 1 tsp of the streusel mixture, pressing it gently into the batter 
10. Bake for 18-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean

** this makes about 1-1/2 dozen, depending on the size of your muffin pan and the amount of apple you use

I made a few swaps on a traditional muffin recipe, namely whole wheat flour and low-fat sour cream.  Whole wheat flour adds fiber and wholesomeness.  I used low-fat sour cream instead of oil...because we had in the house, but also because it keeps things light and lively.  And who doesn't want a light and lively muffin?  I thought you did. 

Streusel is like that happy friend you just want to squeeze every time you see her.  It's easy and tasty and sweet and crunchy and doesn't shame you when you by mistake on purpose eat the whole tray of muffins in one sitting. It is so good. Plus my really good friend, Boo is obsessed with streusel.  So, it's a win-win. 

In the interest of research, I filled the muffin pan normally, but still had some leftover  batter.  It only seemed appropriate to test this recipe in a donut pan.  Success! Apple Cinnamon Sugar Streusel...Baked Donuts!  Yes! 

What you'll need:


Awaiting baking, be sure to take your rings off for this step -- it can be a little messy:


Sitting pretty:


Streusel close up:


Donut version:


If you make this recipe yourself, I'd love to hear what you think.  Did you use Greek yogurt or sour cream?  What's your favorite apple to bake with?

xx,
The Future Mrs. Wolf 

2 comments: